Monday, July 16, 2012

Brushing off the crumbs

It's been over a year since I've last posted progress on my attempt to nix my potato chip addiction. As I brush the dust (and the crumbs) off this blog, I'm finding myself with mixed emotions. A sense of pride of some of the progress and accomplishments I've made over the last year. And a sense of frustration that I find myself still facing the same struggles.

Let's start with the positive. A year ago, I wanted to be able to change my lifestyle. The big thing I have discovered over this last year is that change takes time. And change comes in surprising forms. In my quest to give up one of my favorite junk foods, I found myself yearning to be more active. I pushed myself out of my comfort zone as I searched high and low for a fitness routine that suited my lifestyle and kept my interest.

I started out simple, signing up for an adult co-ed softball league to try and get more active, which also had the added bonus of meeting new people. And things started out great. I had a team full of great people I enjoyed getting together with two times a week. Then came Game Three. I pulled two thigh muscles just running to first base and had to crawl off the field. I couldn't believe that something I thought would be so easy - something I enjoyed as a kid - could be so difficult on my body. I vowed to change this.

So I grudgingly signed up for a Couch to 5K program at work. Running had never been anything that I enjoyed. Or excelled at. But I wanted to be strong. I wanted to be fit and healthy. And I had to start somewhere. And the best thing about this program was it came with a built in support group. I had a coach and I had friends struggling right along with me. And then I got that first runner's high.

To date, I've now run five different 5Ks. I've set a goal to run a 10K next year. I've lost some weight and I feel myself getting fitter, getting toner. But I still face that internal struggle, still hear that voice of something crunchy, something salty whispering sweet temptations in my ear.

I still can't say I eat very well. I know my choices are wrong. So as I pick this blog back up, I'm working now on holding myself accountable to change something I've constantly told myself I can't. I never thought I could be a runner a year ago. Now I can't imagine not being one. And if I can get off the couch and run laps around the person I was a year ago, I can make this last change that seems so impossible to become a much better me.

3 comments:

  1. That awesome how are you now? I hope to beat my chips addiction someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog is hilarious and relatable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. potatoes have nicotine in them...like other nightshade vegetables. That is why they are addicting. Chips and salsa -- tomatoes -- nicotine.

    ReplyDelete