Friday, July 29, 2011

Size Really Does Matter

After 4 weeks of the potato chip experiment, I’ve made a very eye-opening discovery. It’s not necessarily the potato chips that were my problem – it’s the way I snack, period. While I’ve successfully pushed the chips to the side, all that has done is make room for more snacks. I haven’t changed my habits of constant snacking, late night snacking, couch snacking, etc. While some snack substitutes have been healthy choices, I’m pretty sure my choices of red wine and chocolate ice cream are not working toward my weight loss goal.
I really should change my introduction on the first post of this blog to say, “Hi, my name is Jocelyn, and I’m addicted to snacking.”
I keep trying to repeat to myself “21 days.” That’s how long it takes something to become habit. And now that I’ve eliminated my worst snack habit, it’s time to refocus on the habit of snacking itself. Replacing the bag of chips in my desk drawer with a box of healthy cereal isn’t doing much good if I’m eating large quantities many times throughout the day. So it’s time to go back to those temptation zones and zero in how to remove my desire to snack.
Temptation Zone B – work.
Starting today, no snacks are allowed in my desk. Coworkers reading this, please police me often! From now on, I’m only bringing in portioned snacks and meals. My wallet will stay locked up in the car throughout the day to avoid the temptation to go to the vending machine or run upstairs to the food court for a snack. If I feel the urge, it’s water and/or a vigorous walk.
Now, for my bigger temptation zone – the home playing field.
While chips are no longer in my house, I’ve still got plenty of snacks lying around. And while pretzels are better for me, I’m sure I’m just negating that healthy snack with the jalapeno cheese dip I dunk my pretzels in. I can’t necessarily remove all the snacks from my house – there are three other hungry mouths that live there – so I have to do what I can to make myself stay away from them. I’m not sure what that’s going to be yet. But I need to hold myself accountable before I put that snack in my mouth, so I’m going to be looking more at calories and portion sizes this coming week. Again, not sure of my best plan of action yet, but I’m sure there’s an app for that. And I’m addicted to my iPhone almost as much as my snacking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment