Friday, July 8, 2011

Now Walk it Out

It's Day 7 of my potato chip experiment and I woke up this morning with some excitement. Today's the first day I planned on measuring to see if I've had any success - also known as, stepping on the scale to see if I've lost any weight yet.

I held my breath and stepped on - only to see the exact numbers I saw last week at my weigh in. Down to the ounce. Disappointment flooded over me. I truly expected/hoped to see some downward movement in the numbers. But I'm determined to not lose focus. If anything, this just energizes me to push myself harder.

Which brings us to. . . . .Temptation Zone B - Gainful Employment.

Snacking for me is habit and I tend to do a lot of it my desk while I work. I often eat lunch at my desk and finish it up with a helping of potato chips. When I'm hungry, that's what I want to snack on. I used to even keep a can of Pringles in my desk drawer. Yesterday was my first day back at work from the July 4th holiday and I felt the temptation of wanting to run to the vending machine and grab some munchies. Instead, I made myself get up from my desk and do something else to not think about food. I took two posters down to the mailroom that needed shipped. I got a glass of water from the break room. I chatted with a coworker about a meeting we had that afternoon. By the time I got back to my desk, I had not only lost the sensation of hunger, I was energized to do my job again.

So as a potato chip "patch" at work, I've decided when I feel the urge to eat chips come on, I'm taking a walk. I don't know how many times I've promised myself to fit in a 30 minute walk each day at work and this is how I'm going to do it. I've downloaded some kicky new tunes on my iPod and even dug out my dusty pedometer. Instead of counting missing chips this week, I'm counting my steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment