Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tempting Fate

I've decided that the 4th of July holiday is the biggest chip eating holiday there is. Chips were everywhere this weekend. Everywhere but my mouth, I'm proud to report.

I knew this weekend would be difficult. The holiday weekend would include cookouts and snacking and chips would be running amuck no doubt. And sure enough, as early as Friday evening when I ran to the store for some dinner items, there it was as soon as I walked in - an entire tower of Lays potato chips. On sale, $1.69 a bag. I almost had to laugh to myself. It was like someone put it there just to see how I would do.

What I realized is that I go to the grocery store way too often.

I usually take my lunch breaks to run to the store to get food for that night's dinner. While I'm there, I might pick up a small bag of chips to eat with my lunch. I run to our grocery store in town a few nights a week to pick up forgotten items. And look, there's a bag of BBQ chips for $1.00 and supper won't be ready for hours and I'm hungry. I went to the grocery store five times this weekend. And I went hungry twice - rookie mistake.

In my quest of potato chip addiction discovery, I've decided I must eliminate my temptation zones. Temptation Zone A: The Grocery Store. Instead of taking multiple trips each week, I've decided I need to start planning meals and healthy snacks for the week and go once. So that's what I did on Sunday. My cupboards and refrigerator are now stocked with healthy ingredients and meal items. I can avoid the leaning tower of temptation for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment